Monday, November 28, 2005

What if I don't want to


So yesterday was the last day of my thanksgiving break. Everything came to a close but there was one final thing I had to do before I left for school. I had to go to church. Now don't get me wrong I love church!!! i love being at church, well most of the time. But for some reason I didn't really want to be at church. Maybe it was because it wasn't the church I had been going, or maybe it was because I was tired and just wanted to be in bed. But for some reason I felt like a little kid yesterday saying...well what if I don't want to go to church. There was this interesting internal conflict of why do I go to church. I began to wonder why does everyone else go to church? Why do you go to church? Now for most of you who might be reading this blog it's because you have to...you either work at a church or class is making you! But why does our congregation...Is it because they think they have to? Is it to have a social life? Is it because the do actually love Jesus and the church? Or is it because they want help? Why do our people attend church? How do you handle those days where you just don't want to be around Christians, or just don't want to wake up and go to church?
To those of you who don't work in the church or don't even like the church and just happened to read this: why don't you go to church? or why do you? Today in chapel at my school we had a man talk about how he felt the least wanted when he was at church, do you see that in your life? What is it that you are or were expecting from the church? Help me, I want to know why others go to church!

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Aaron Zehr said...

We actually had a talk about this in my Sunday school class this week. It stemmed more around children and if at a certain age parents can still make church manditory. As a future parent I have not had to personally work through this, but have put some thought into it. When my kids are younger I will require them to come to church with me. However, once they turn 16 I think that they need to begin to make their own decisions. I want them to love Jesus because they want to, not because I force them to. I have 16 years of their life to raise them in a Godly house. After that I think that it is up to them and God. I know that for me in college I enjoy church more because I attend on my own decision.

This does throw a wrench into things been future pastors and youth pastors in the church. It is almost expected that our children attend. They are in the limelight. Should different rules be placed on them? This is the part of the situation that I have not come to a conclusion on yet.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Phil Strahm said...

Two things:
First, in many of my talks with nonbelievers or nonchurchgoers the main thing the say about church is that "it makes them feel better" or "i know i should go...just because." They are not even sure the entire purpose of "church." Yet, deep down they know it constitutes a basic need that they are not having filled in their life. Yet, so many of them are uncertain (especially at our age) where to go and whether they'd fit in and have other young adults. They know church is "good," yet do not have the individual drive to get in the door....i guess that's our job.
Second, I think we all have times where we're tired, burnt out, away from our normal congregation, etc where we just aren't into it...and the same goes for other passions in life. In my humble opinion, if you aren't on staff and don't feel like going to church some weeks, then maybe a portion of those you shouldn't go. Sometimes you should because you'll be glad you did or will learn something from God. Other times, maybe a few extra zzzz's and some one-on-one time with God will be better. I think if you're attending church 2 or 3 times a week, then missing one every once in a while for alone time is not bad. Just beware of the slippery slope!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home