Friday, August 24, 2007

My New Friends

So it's been a while since I have been on the pages of blogspot but today I restart my blogging journey. This past Wed. I did something I hadn't done for a few months. I went back to youth group. I went back but this time as a volunteer. If you know my story you know that I had taken a few months to revisit what ministry looks like for my life. But recently the Lord gave me the preverbial nod to get back into the game. I was more nervous this past week than i had ever been before. What if the kids didn't like me, what if i wasn't ready for it. But I trusted and i'm glad i did.

We had two kids show up. So the leader decided not to do this weeks lesson and play games. Even though we didn't have any game ideas we began to create. I began to ask these two students about school, family, and the things they like to do. I forgot how much middle schoolers like to talk. For about an hour and half we talked about anything and everything while playing bean bag toss and dodgeball. As one of the kids left he looked at me and told me I better be back next week or he is hunting me down with the dodgeball. I'm not going to lie that was one of the biggest compliments I have ever heard. All we did was talk about life and the video games but maybe that's what we need to talk about more with students.

I love Jesus and I want others to too, but I'm learning that life investment is so much more important than numbers. I believe that as I watch Jesus' ministry. An old mentor of mine used to say over and over that "more time with less people equals greater impact for the kingdom" Tim Elmore. Jesus had 12 people he invested in, those twelve were the ones that invested in more and so on and so forth. I have believed that before but I haven't lived it in the church. I know i want to live that as my ministry lifestyle.

These past three months have been challenging, yet relaxing but I'm excited about seeing what God is going to do and how I will be used in ministry. Thanks to everyone who is praying, who has supported me, and who care! I love you guys and I couldn't have processed all this without you.

4 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Phil Strahm said...

Spend time with kids and just get to know them and love them...crazy concept huh?

Sounds like those kids were quality kids already...so those are good building blocks for a healthy ministry!

Glad to hear your enjoying a little ym action!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

micah...I'm glad to hear that you're finding your place again. i really hope that you find what you need to keep everything in perspective in your life of ministry. i miss ya bud. take care of yourself

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Micah Dormann said...

thanks guys! J fry, we need to find time to hang out! hope you're doing well!

Phil. we live in the same freaking area. why do you keep selling me out! oh wait i work every day you're just a youth pastor...hahaha kidding, waiting tables doesn't count as work

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Phil Strahm said...

Micah...just call me WHEN/IF you ever have a day off...I'll make the time...we can relax..watch some cubs/hoosiers/us open tennis, etc...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home