Thursday, August 03, 2006

An Ice Cold Glass of Sweet Tea

Wow is it hot!!! All over the midwest and south it has been crazy hot...of course this amazing heat wave moved through when my youth group and I went to camp. The reason it's been so long since I have blogged is the simple reason that Youth Camp pretty much trumpted it all. Also, I've been getting some really interesting responses from my last blog and i've been learning and processing from them...So why is the title "An Ice Cold Glass of Sweet Tea"?

Three weeks ago, I was tired...I'm going to be open with you, I was tired already. I was in ministry for a month and I was tired...I felt like I was always working and it never ended. I wasn't having much fun and I felt like i was loosing grip on my youth group. But I was excited about camp...Being nervous I took my first step on the camp ground where I was going to meet youth pastors who have been in the district and were close and some that were new to the district. The first week I was in a cabin with 14 other high school boys and no AC...but in spite of the heat God moved...The men in my group met with God through the course of the week and so did I. There were people who were very much Jesus to me during the course of that first week and through the second week.

Dwight is a man I think in his fifties who loves the LORD and teens...This man is not a hired staff but he works harder than maybe anyone of the youth pastors...He encouraged the younger youth pastors telling us over and over again how much he believed in us. Then there was John Mann...at a young 42 I've never seen kids from a church or other churches love a man so much...He cared so much about every kid at this camp it was amazing! Whether from my church or any other church he cared for them. Then camp the human Beat Box Raquel...The raw and real girl who loves Jesus more than life itself. She was dedicated to become the woman God had called her to be...I believe one day whether you know her or not now you will hear her testimony. Finally an intern named Kenneth...This kid rocked my face off...his encouragement and his love for me blew me away...I learned a ton from him and the way that he represented Jesus to me and those around him...So here is to Dwight John, Rock, and Kenneth...thank you...you were my Ice Cold Glass of Sweet Tea...the refreshing drink on a hot summer day...

God did amazing things at this camp, changing students lives, but for me he refreshed me, Through worship, through teaching times, and through the daily visit to starbucks with other pastors, God was there and real and God did amazing things and I'm excited about seeing the Revolution move through me and my students...

1 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jason Fry said...

i like it...i like tea and i like the post. thanks for sharing your heart even if it places you as a mentee instead of the mentor. bro...i think about you and hope that GOd continues to use you in NC...take care and know that you are a spiffy guy...keep pluggin away...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home