Saturday, May 02, 2009

Derby Day

As I sit next to my girlfriend,as she eats breakfast, on this lovely Saturday morning I began to think about some of my more favorite days in the sports world. I turn on fox soccer channel to start my morning off right with a little English Premier League soccer. Which for most of you would be like getting your teeth pulled out. Obscure sports days are a lot of fun I think. Now you could focus on the big game seven between the Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls or the NHL playoffs today but most of all I'm excited about the Kentucky Derby.

The Derby is the like the Indianapolis 500 for most people; it's the only day where people actually care about the sport. Now you can try to tell me that you care about Horse Racing but lets be honest you and I both really don't care. Occasionally you get the good story like Big Brown last year that keeps your interest but that fades away quickly to. But what is great about today is the feel that it gives off. You know that relaxed excitement to watch 20, 19 today, horse run around a track for two to three minutes and hear those famous words "And down the stretch they come." It's an exciting day! You have till six o'clock before the race starts so you can get all the work done, grab a nice late lunch, and after you can watch everything else on TV.

I do know a small group of people who hate today. All be it a little circumstantial but they really don't like today. The NHL. NBC said this week that they will switch over to the Derby coverage no matter what's going on in the game with the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Washington Capitals. This is the dream series for the NHL and now they are promised to get bumped by their only major non-cable network if the game goes to long. You have to be pissed if your the NHL but that's what makes this day so great. It's like the 500 everyone stops to watch this sport for the one day it's big. For the small horse racing group of fans out there this is your super bowl so enjoy it. Drink your mint julep and let your wife wear her big crazy hat and enjoy what could be the greatest horse race you will see all year.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home