Wednesday, April 29, 2009

1 Quater

The big topic today on Mike and Mike and other sports talk shows was the "hard foul" by Rajon Rondo in last nights overtime win over the Bulls.  The key play happened in the last 5 seconds of the game.  Now last night Dwight Howard plainly threw an elbow at the end of the play in the first quarter.   Now there are two differences in these play; one drew blood and the other one didn't.  As well as, the time in which they took place.  

The fact that Rondo drew blood on a clear smack to the face and the refs did not even look to see what happened but just to check the time is outrageous.  Just because it happened in the last 5 seconds of the game should not ever make a difference.  I know you want the players to decided the game, but could you imagine if that was Lebron and not Brad Miller going to the hole.  The uproar that would have entailed in the sports world, but not today.  I'm not saying that Rondo should be suspended like Howard was but at least they called a tech. on Howard as soon as it happened and let the league decide what the major discipline should have been.  But what happened today to Rondo nothing. Really...nothing.  He hit a guy in the face, cutting him and nothing happens.  How does that make sense?  Maybe I am overreacting to the play but from my view the referees missed this.  

The second issues is the timing.  Should games be called differently the later the game goes?  I hope you say no.  But if you say yes I have to say your wrong. As a fan if my team was coming back I would like to see the game called down the middle.  If my team was winning I would hope that the game would be called the same.  As I think we all would agree on we do not want the refs.  deciding everything, but you can't change the way a game is called no matter what sport you are calling.  Strike zone, fouls, or penalties need to have the same standards all game.  What does it say about the integrity of the game if a ref. can  call something in the first quarter, but yet calls or doesn't call the opposite at the end?  It brings a dark spot on the game and fans cannot trust how things are going to happen at the end of a contest.  

Am I overreacting to a small event or is this really an issue?   Can you trust referees to call a contest fairly ever?   Did the refs make the right call in both situations.  To all of these I say No, what about you?   

 

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Phil Strahm said...

Rondo should be kicked out of the country...Refs are terrible

 

Post a Comment

<< Home